Sunday, May 14, 2006

The People's Republic of New Jersey

This past weekend I went to Chilis. We thought there was going to be long wait because it was Saturday and the parking lot was full. Fortunately for us, the state government recently decided that no one can smoke in resteraunts and bars. We slid up near the bar, ate our food and enjoyed a smoke free environment.

And it's such BS. It's just wrong. This isn't a politician's decision, it's a business owner's. Anyone who gives the issue even a cursory look and still sides with the outlaw smoking side reveals that they have no respect for property rights and liberty. You don't like going to resteraunts with smoking? Don't go! No one is making you. Find a resteraunt that doesn't allow smoking (they do exist) and patronize them. Don't like working in an establishment that allows smoking? Don't work there! No one is making you. There's other jobs out there. Somewhere in this debate people forgot about liberty.

I wonder if smokers are going to start using snuff again? Maybe I should invest in a snuff company.

6 comments:

jescandlon said...

One thing you have forgotten Jon. As citizens we are not allowed Second hand smoke has been found to be a huge cause of cancer. Due to the hazard it holds for others and also the tremendous medical costs it poses on the country, I am 100% for eliminating smoking in public facilities. STay home and pollute your own environment. Any smoking in a restaurant raises the environmental levels in the entire restaurant above the level allowed by EPA. Which by the way, you should have seen the levels found in a bowling alley with multiple air cleaning systems. Unbelieveable.

jescandlon said...

okay, somehow it erased part of my sentence. "we are not allowed. . . to cause physical harm to another human being."

jescandlon said...

Which by the way, be careful about investing in a snuff company. They cause lip and esophogeal cancer. It is just a matter of time until they get sued and end up making huge pay-outs and anti-chewing campaigns.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I read your post Jon and smoking is somewhat comparable to the dangers of eating McDonalds and other fast foods. Do we want the government to tell us we can only eat at a fast food joint one time a week because if we eat there more it's too unhealthy for us? (Believe it or not, I did hear something about this mentioned on the radio today.)

The major difference would be that if we choose to eat junk food, it truly is only harming us (except for the extra costs that our health insurance will pass on to everyone when we have to have our heart surgery sometime down the road.) If we choose to smoke in public, we are potentially harming a lot of other people and I think each person needs to have personal responsibility for that.

Should the government step in? I don't know. As a non-smoker I definitely don't mind having non-smoking restaurants. I am concerned about the government imposing too much on our personal liberty though and this gives them even more power to continue doing that...

Interesting debate though....it's good to think of something other than dirty diapers, vacuuming and washing dishes today. :)

Sweatypie said...

Blah Blah Blah jescandlon. EPA???? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Anyone the quotes the EPA must be a LIBERAL! Now you wnat to sue Snuff companies??? I am going to start to sue tube top companies for making me sick.

jescandlon said...

Oh spare me, Sweatie Pie, your such a pervert, you enjoy tube tops! What are you going to sue them for? Eye strain?