Monday, August 04, 2008

Dublin Irish Festival

This weekend was a doozy. Kathy and I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Dublin Irish Festival. On Friday Kathy competed in the Irish Dancing competition. She won three medals - most notably she came in third in her individual dance. On Saturday and Sunday they danced again, but for fun.

The highlight of the weekend was the Gaelic Storm concert. You may not remember them, but you have all seen one of their performances when you watched the movie Titanic. Kathy and her friend Jenny were stage managers for their concert. I commandered Kathy's t-shirt even though I was not a volunteer so that I wouldn't get kicked out of the backstage area. I got to check passes to make sure people were supposed to be backstage. I even got to kick some people out! The craziest moment was when we had to remove 10 rows of chairs in the tent in 20 or so minutes in an area with thousands of people. Imagine grabbing eight chairs and trying to squeeze yourself through the general admission area of a concert where everyone is packed together like sardines. Also imagine that the people sitting in those chairs don't really fill like giving them up. Luckily the Dublin Police were there and did most of the work.

The great thing about being an imposter volunteer is that you get free cookies and water. I think I earned my cookies and water though because I actually did volunteer work for about 6 hours.






Doug and Julia - I'm going to be a groomsman in their wedding this month.





The Violinist/Fiddler/Whatever in the background cracks me up


4 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

That sounds like one really awesome weekend Jon...being backstage would of been so cool!

And kudos to Kathy for doing such a great job with her dances. Makes all her hard work and practice completely worth it now. :)

Kathy said...

You got some good pictures of us dancing!

Sweatiepy said...

is that bono?

jescandlon said...

Now I am going to have to watch Titanic to try to figure out when they played! Sounds like a great time-I think you were enjoying your backstage "power" a little too much, Jon. :)